In addition to being easy and delicious to eat, shelled pistachios are also a very healthy food.
Italy is among the top ten producers of pistachios in the world and its most prized and well-known species are the Bronte and Stigliano pistachios.
Although the former has been recognized as a PDO (Protected Designation of Origin) product, the latter is certainly no less.
They are in fact two Italian treasures that are part of our agricultural and food heritage, enriching our territories and our tables.
Composition and benefits
Pistachios are an excellent source of copper and vitamin B6, both of which are very important for many functions, including brain functions, hormones, metabolism, immune defence building, etc.
Let’s see what the most important benefits of eating pistachios are:
- Rich in antioxidants, they can counteract the action of free radicals and cell aging. Among other antioxidants, pistachios contain a high amount of lutein and zeaxanthin, which are very important for healthy eyes.
- These healthy dried fruits have very low calories in 100g shelled pistachios, but are rich in essential amino acids and proteins.
- Thanks to the presence of certain types of fibre, pistachios can stimulate the production of good bacteria in the intestine, serving as a prebiotic!
- Numerous studies have shown that, in addition to their antioxidant properties, pistachios also have hypolipidemic properties, i.e. they are able to lower plasma LDL cholesterol As a result, they keep the arteries free of plaques and promote blood circulation, preventing coronary heart disease.
- In addition to having a low glycaemic index, the introduction of pistachios into everyday diet can help control blood sugar levels in people with diabetes.
How and when to eat shelled pistachios
Shelled pistachios are very easy to eat in any place and time of day.
They are very practical even in enclosed places with no garbage containers, such as: buses, trains, etc., as there is no shell to be disposed of.
As a good source of energy and protein, pistachios are often taken by sportsmen and women after physical activity.
They are also consumed as an ingredient in sweet and savoury dishes, creams, liqueurs and more.
Shelled pistachio is used in Italy to give a more delicate aroma to mortadella.