Almonds are an excellent nourishment for the body: they are energetic and rich in healthy fats, antioxidants, vitamins and mineral salts.
Derived from Prunus dulcis (more commonly called almond tree), almonds are to be considered as real natural supplements.
Thanks to their components, almonds provide a good amount of nutrients and health benefits:
- they are good for the heart because they lower the levels of bad cholesterol (LDL) in the blood;
- they reduce hunger and increase the feeling of satiety;
- since they contain fibre (especially in the part of the cuticle that wraps them), they facilitate intestinal transit;
- they help to lower blood sugar levels thanks to the considerable amount of magnesium they contain;
- thanks to vitamin E and other antioxidants, almonds counteract the action of free radicals and promote cell renewal.
How and when to eat salted toasted almonds
Toasted almond is perfect as a snack at any time of the day and especially after sports.
When toasted and salted, the almonds are enriched with a distinctive taste that makes them more palatable, both as a snack and as an ingredient for the preparation of dishes, sauces and doughs.
The presence of sodium in salted toasted almonds, however, makes them less suitable for those who have to follow a low sodium diet (for example, people suffering from hypertension).